1. Join E-Subscriptions
  2. Submit a Service Request
  3. Pay Your City Utility Bill
  4. Sign Up for a Class
  5. eTrakit/Online Permitting
  6. Employment Opportunities
  7. Buy Grand Theatre Tickets
  8. Watch Live Council Meetings
  9. Submit an Online Police Report
  10. Tracy Municipal Code
  11. Master Fee Schedule

City Departments

Apply for a Business License

What is a Business License?

A Business License is a tax and is non- regulatory; it does not entitle the holder to conduct business in a zone where conducting business violates law. It’s non- transferable and the certificate must be carried or posted in a conspicuous place at the business location.

The General Business License tax application will be routed to various departments for review. Once paid; a Business License tax certificate will be issued. If the business location or mailing address changes, has an ownership or business name change, or becomes inactive, it’s the certificate holder’s responsibility to notify the Business License tax office, and pay any applicable fees. Conducting a business in the City without a license can result in citations and/or fines.

We send annual or quarterly renewal notices; however it is the certificate holder’s responsibility to renew on time to avoid late fees, and to notify us in writing of any changes.

Who needs a City of Tracy Business License tax certificate?

  • When any person, by the use of signs, circulars, cards, telephone books, or newspapers, shall advertise, hold out, or represent that the person is in business in the City, or when any person holds an active license or permit issued by a governmental agency indicating that the person is in business in the City, or when any person makes a sale, takes an order, renders a commercial service, or performs any other similar act within the City.

Where to start?

  • To inquire about city zoning requirements for your type of business and its planned location, contact the City of Tracy Planning Division; ask for a Planner. They’re able to answer questions regarding zoning designations and building requirements. They’ll also be able to direct you to the appropriate person for construction permits or fire inspections.
  • Once you have a business location, you may apply for a City of Tracy Business License. You may download an application from our website or contact us at (209) 831-6800 for more information. If you are a home-based business, in addition to the Business License tax application, you need a home occupation permit. You may submit both applications together to the Finance & Admin. Services Dept. at the City Hall, by fax at (209) 831-6846 or via email at customerservice@ci.tracy.ca.us . 
  • Once the application and payment is received, an account will be set up and the application will be routed to other regulatory departments. A Business License tax certificate will be issued however; it does not permit a business that is otherwise prohibited.
  • View a listing of Other Agencies Business Information Numbers you may want to contact.
  • View for Taxi and Other Transportation information.

Sitemap   |   Privacy Policy   |   Site Policy   |   Employee Login   |  
Bookmark and Share               
Website Design and Development by Jel