The City of Tracy is proud to have a Graffiti Removal Program. If you happen to see graffiti on public or private property, please report it immediately to our Graffiti Hot Line at (209) 831-6583. The hot line is available 24 hours a day. Just leave a message, you are not required to leave your name or phone number.
Why Does Graffiti Appear?
The majority of graffiti is done by graffiti vandals known as "taggers." They are motivated by the need to be recognized. They believe that the more often they write their street signature, or "tag," on public and private property, the more they enhance their respect. The excitement that comes from doing something illegal and the rebellious nature of their actions also motivate taggers. Others deface public areas to show that they, and not the agency responsible, are in control.
What can I do to Combat Graffiti?
- Remove graffiti immediately and continually from your property. Vandals will learn their time and materials are being wasted and will move to another spot.
- Keep your property well lit, clean, and landscaped. This will help discourage graffiti.
- Plant native shrubs or foliage near walls and fence.
- Be part of a community or neighborhood improvement program. Join or help organize clean up and beautification efforts.
- Talk to your children about respecting public and private property.
- Encourage a group of merchants and neighborhood associations to create a "paint bank" stocked with paints and painting supplies. Those who contribute can use the items when vandals strike.
- Write to your elected officials and ask that they address the problem through greater education and enforcement.