City Attorney's Office
Under Tracy's form of government, the City Council appoints the City Manager and the City Attorney. The City Council appointed Dan Sodergren as the City Attorney for the City of Tracy in 2009. In addition to Dan Sodergren, the City Attorney's Office is staffed by one Assistant City Attorney, one Deputy City Attorney, and one legal secretary. The City Attorney provides legal advice to the City Council, Commissions, Boards and City staff.
Functions of the City Attorney's Office
- Provides legal advice to the City Council, Commissions, Boards and City staff
- Attends all City Council, Planning Commission, and Redevelopment Agency meetings
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of and/or review of all legal documents, ordinances, resolutions and leases
- Prepares and/or assists in the negotiations of all contracts
- Prosecutes City of Tracy Municipal Code violations
- Assists in the coordination and supervision of special counsel to the City of Tracy
As the City Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice to individual citizens in the City of Tracy, you are directed to the following resources for private legal assistance:
San Joaquin County Bar Association Referral Service
For a referral to a private attorney Call (209) 948-4620 or visit www.sjcbar.org
San Joaquin County Superior Court Self-Help Center
California Courts Online Self-Help Center
While the City Attorney’s Office prosecutes violations of the Tracy Municipal Code, it does not prosecute most state law crimes. For information about criminal matters, please contact the District Attorney’s Office at (209) 831-5925.