1. Pay Your City Utility Bill
  2. Sign Up for a Class
  3. eTrakit/Online Permitting
  4. Employment Opportunities
  5. Buy Grand Theatre Tickets
  6. Watch Live Council Meetings
  7. Submit an Online Police Report
  8. Tracy Municipal Code

Election Information

Tracy's general municipal election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of even numbered years. The date of the next election is November 4, 2014. The Mayor and Council Members are elected at-large on a non-partisan basis. The Mayor is elected to a two-year term; Council Members are elected to four year terms. Council Members can serve no more than two four-year terms, and Mayors can serve no more than two two-year terms. All Council Members enjoy the same power and privileges; however, the Mayor presides over Council meetings, signs official documents, and officiates at ceremonies and events. Following each election, the City Council appoints a Mayor Pro Tem who assumes the duties of the Mayor in his or her absence. The City Clerk and City Treasurer are elected and serve four year terms.

Election FAQs

When can I take out nomination papers?

Dates to take out nomination papers for the 2014 Election are yet to be determined.

The nomination period runs from July 16 until August 10, 2012.  If an incumbent has not filed on the last day of the nomination period, the voters shall have until August 15, 2012, to nominate candidates other than the person who was the incumbent on August 10, 2010.

Is there anything I can do before the nomination period opens?

If you intend to solicit or receive contributions or make any expenditures from personal funds on behalf of your candidacy you must file a Form 501 with the City Clerk's office. However, if you have decided to use only personal funds to pay the filing fee and/or candidate statement, you are not required to file this form.

Is there a fee to pay when I file my nomination papers?

Yes, there is $25 filing fee for a candidate for municipal office in the City of Tracy. There is an additional fee to pay if you choose to file a candidate statement. However, this fee is determined by the Registrar of Voters office, not the City, and the amount varies with each election.

What if I change my mind about being a candidate after I have filed my nomination papers?

You may withdraw your candidacy any time prior to the close of the nomination period. If you choose to withdraw after that date, your name will appear on the ballot.

When officeholders or candidates receive contributions of $1,000 or more, are they required to have a committee?

Yes. An officeholder or candidate who receives contributions (including loans) that total $1,000 or more in a calendar year must file a Statement of Organization, also known as a Form 410.

If I use only my own money do I still need to file campaign statements?

If you chose not to solicit contributions of more than $1,000, and do not anticipate spending $1,000 or more during the calendar year your filing requirements will be less, but you are still subject to the filing requirements of the Political Reform Act.

May I serve as my own Treasurer?

Yes. State law allow you to serve as your own treasurer, as long as this is designated on the Form 410.

Why is there so much paperwork involved in running for office?

State law requires that you file the appropriate materials to ensure that you are fully disclosing all information pertinent to your candidacy. The purpose of the requirements is to ensure a fair and democratic electoral process.

Where can I get more information?

The City Clerk's office is responsible for overseeing the City's general municipal election. The phone number is (209) 831-6105.

Sitemap   |   Privacy Policy   |   Site Policy   |  
Bookmark and Share            
Website Design and Development by Jel